Steps to Housing

Step 1: Begin gathering your documentation. Many landlords require these documents and information when processing your rental application, including:

  • California driver’s license or identification card
  • Birth certificate
  • Social Security number
  • Rental history: list of past rentals with contact information

Don’t have some of these documents and not sure where to start? Our housing guides can help! Make an appointment today.

Step 2: Find out if your family qualifies for subsidized housing. Also known as “project-based vouchers,” subsidized housing has a rental subsidy provided to a specific apartment. The biggest qualifying factor involves household income, but landlords also consider whether you qualify as a family, a senior, or a person with an applicable disability. Also, at least one person in your family must be a citizen, national, or non-citizen with eligible immigration status.

View income limits for subsidized housing

Make an appointment with one of our housing guides to find out if you qualify for subsidized housing.

Step 3: Apply for rental assistance. A “tenant-based voucher” is a rental subsidy provided to low-income individuals and families. These vouchers allow families to find their own housing in the private rental market. Once housing is found, approved and leased by the voucher holder, a monthly rental subsidy begins.

You can apply for tenant-based vouchers with The Community Development Commission (CDC) of Mendocino County.

Step 4: Submit rental applications. This list of subsidized apartments includes properties on the coast, in Ukiah, and in Willits. If you do not qualify for subsidized housing, this list of private market rental agencies and websites is a good place to start.


Talk to Us

Is your family experiencing homelessness or at risk of homelessness? Our housing guides can help!

Need Rental Assistance?

The Community Development Commission of Mendocino County offers rental assistance programs for low-income individuals, families, the elderly, homeless, veterans, and persons with disabilities.

Learn about Rental Assistance