Many landlords and all subsidized housing require these documents and information to rent their properties.

Birth certificate: Contact your birth state or territory’s vital records office to get a certified copy of your birth certificate.

California driver’s license or identification card: Apply for either card online at the California Department of Motor Vehicles website.

Credit history: Many landlords use your credit history as qualifying factor for your rental application. You are entitled to one free credit report every 12 months from each of the three nationwide credit bureaus at

Letter of reference: If you have unfavorable or no rental history, some landlords will accept a letter of reference that vouches for you as a potential renter.

Pet documentation: Many landlords will allow pets, but may require that the animal be licensed with the County and be current on vaccinations. Often landlords limit the breeds of dogs allowed, or require documentation for emotional support animals.

Rental history: list of past rentals with contact information.

Social Security number: Many landlords want to see an original social security card to verify your identity.

Don’t have some of these documents and not sure where to start? Our housing guides can help! Make an appointment today.

Talk to Us

Is your family experiencing homelessness or at risk of homelessness? Our housing guides can help!

Need Rental Assistance?

The Community Development Commission of Mendocino County offers rental assistance programs for low-income individuals, families, the elderly, homeless, veterans, and persons with disabilities.

Learn about Rental Assistance